Pages

Saturday 17 December 2016

SML- Summer Learning Journey Day 1

                                         CANADA
Day 1 – Choosing a destination
The world is a very big and very cool place. There are currently 196 countries and approximately 7.1 billion people living on earth. For this project we are going to focus on just 10 countries across 6 continents – Canada (North America), Mexico (Central America), Chile (South America), England (Europe), Germany (Europe), South Africa (Africa), United Arab Emirates (Middle East), Japan (Asia), Malaysia (South-East Asia), and Australia (Australasia).
Please click on the World Map tab on the main menu. It will bring you to a big map. One by one click on the names of the countries and ready the ‘Quick Facts’ about each place.
Activity 1
After you have read the quick facts about each place you must choose ONE country that you would like to ‘visit.’ On your blog post the name of the country and tell us why you have chosen to visit it. Please give, at least, two reasons for choosing the country.
Image result for canada viewIt was a pretty big decision for me to chose from as there were a variety of 10 great countries. However, I made my mind and the first country I would like to visit is Canada. My first reason is because my cousin suggested that out of all the countries she's been in Canada would be Canada as she marks it one of her best as it has spectacular scenery. My second reason is that for me to visit my cousins, uncles and aunties as I haven't seen them for years.
Activity 2
On Google, research the country that you have chosen to visit and write, in your own words, three interesting facts about that country. They must be facts that weren’t already provided on the World Map.
 1. A bear cub named Winnipeg was exported from Canada to the London Zoo in 1915. A little boy named Christopher Robin Milne loved to visit Winnipeg, or Winnie for short. His love for the bear cub inspired the stories written by his father, A.A. Milne, about Winnie-the-Pooh and that's how the city of Winnie peg got it's name.
2. Canada is know for the biggest production of maple syrup as it is one of their biggest icons.
3. Canada is the World's Most Educated Country: over half its residents have college degrees.
Bonus Activity
Write a letter to a friend or family member to tell them that you are going to visit your country of choice. In your letter, please tell them where you are going, why you have decided to go to the particular country and how long you will be away. Feel free to invite them to join you, if you’d like!
Dear Mum and Dad, I hope you would like the idea of packing your bags and leaving. My thoughts is going to Canada, I hope you's like this idea! I have great reasons why this country is the right country for s to go and her they are: First of all think about all the great scenery Canada has, the CN Tower which is 553.33 meters tall and think about all the waterfalls especially Nigeria Falls. My second great reason is that We can finally visit my cousins, aunties and uncles as we haven't seen them in a long long period of time. I hope you've made the right decision to go and I hope you've bought those tickets already.
Sincerely,
Your Favorite and Only Daughter

9 comments:

  1. Hi Cheska
    Great blog post about Day 1 ( In the Summer Learning Journey). Its really unique to see you have combined your activities into one full blogpost ( Maybe I could do that, but for my Bonus Activities?). Great blogpost, Cheska!
    -Pote from PBS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pote and Cheska,

      It is wonderful to see that you are commenting across schools and supporting each other's work and learning. This is awesome!

      Keep it up!

      Cheers, Rachel :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Cheska,

    Welcome to the Summer Learning Journey blogging programme! I am so excited to see that you have decided to join us this year. That's amazing news :)

    I love that you have chosen to visit Canada, as well, because I happen to be Canadian. I am from the middle of the country. My sister (Leigh), her family, my mom and dad all live in Ottawa. It is the capital of the country and very cold at the moment. Did you know that it is currently -30 degrees Celsius in Ottawa right now? They also have 3 feet of freshly fallen snow. It is going to be a magical, wintry Christmas for my family!

    What are you doing with your family for the holidays? Do you have any special plans?

    I really hope that you will make time to continue your blogging this holiday. I'm really looking forward to exploring Canada with you!

    Keep up the great work :)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Cheska,

    I'm Mark and I am working on the summer learning journey programme with Rachel as well! I am so excited to see how much work you have already done, and am stoked to see you have chosen one of my favourite countries on the list.

    If there's one thing I know about Canadians (and I know quite a few), it is that they are very much like Kiwi's! They love a good laugh, are friendly, multicultural, and they have a friendly rivalry with their bigger neighbour (guess which country I am talking about) just like us! They also have a fantastic music and film industry, and lots of nature just like us too!

    Your answers for Day 1 are fantastic! I think you're a great writer and am looking forward to reading more of your blogs soon!

    I hope you are having a wonderful holiday and are enjoying the weather too.

    Kia Kaha,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheska, I'm so glad that you've done research on Canada, where I live! I will point out that the city of Winnipeg had its name before Winnie, the bear, was named after it. Winnie was brought to England, as you say, by a soldier who adopted it while travelling in Canada and, because he was from Winnipeg, he wanted to give the bear a name that reminded him of home.

    I'm glad that you're interested in visiting our country and it's particularly special that you have family here! Where in Canada do they live?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy Cheska, I'm Kelsey and I just read your blog about Winnie the bear from Winnipeg. I didn't know that's how the pooh got his name, thanks for explaining it! I live near Ottawa and today, the day before christmas, it is cold but not gruesome, about 0 C. We will get freezing rin tomorrow and the next day, that makes driving dangerous and difficult. You don't have that problem in Auckland, so enjoy your day and hope Father Christmas treats you well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheska,

    What a great post! You have clearly put in a lot of effort! I'm glad you shared those interesting facts, and I'm sure your parents would love to join you on your trip to Canada.

    I hope you are having a wonderful holiday and are enjoying the weather too.

    Keep it up!
    Iisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cheska and Iisa,

    It's great to see that comments are continuing to flow! I hope that you'll consider re-joining our learning journey, Cheska. There is a week left in the programme so there is plenty of time to log on and blog with us!

    Hope to see you online again soon :)

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.