Pages

Sunday 18 December 2016

SML- Summer Learning Journey Week 1 Day 2

Day 2 – Learning the basics

Now that you have chosen your country, it is time to decide where, within your country, you would like to visit. Many tourists will choose to visit the capital city of a country. It is often quite large and full of interesting things to see and do.
Activity 1
Before you go overseas it will be important that you learn a bit about the capital city of your country. Hop online and find out about the capital city of your country. Use this information to complete the five sentences below:
  1. The name of the capital city is Ottawa
  2. The population of the capital city is approximately 883,391 people
  3. In January, the weather in the capital city is usually January is the month that is characterized by gradually falling daily high temperatures, with daily highs around - 5 throughout the month, exceeding 3 degrees Celsius or dropping below- 16 degrees Celsius only one day in ten. 
  4. The capital city is located in the southern (northern, southern, middle) part of the country.
  5. The languages most commonly spoken in the capital city are English and French

Activity 2
One of the most popular activities in Madrid, the capital city of Spain, is called ‘Bullfighting.’ It has been a part of Spanish culture for centuries. In bullfighting people called ‘toreros and ‘matadors’ fight with a live bull. The toreros do most of the fighting and, ultimately, capture the bull and tie it up. Once it has been caught, the matador joins the fight and kills the bull. Although most toreros and matadors are men, there are some women who also compete in the sport.
Not everyone supports bullfighting in Spain. In fact, about 30% of the population want it to be banned (stopped) completely. What do you think? On your blog tell us whether or not you think that bullfighting should be banned in Spain. Please provide, at least, two reasons to support your decision.
  1. As my belief, I would think that most of the population should stop the bull fighting as it could cause severe injuries to the 'toreros' and 'matadors'.
  2. My second reason is that I think as a job of being a 'matador' is cruel as he hs no right to kill the bull for no apparent reason.

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Bullfighting picture.jpg
https://www.clearlyveg.com/blog/2015/11/01/eu-votes-cut-subsidies-bullfighting-spain

Bonus activity
Wellington is the capital city of New Zealand. Have you been to Wellington? If so, please tell us about two things that you did when you were in Wellington.
There was a very good reason for why I went to Wellington as on my stay there my family and I had a renewal on our visa. After renewing our visa, We ate in a Country-West themed restaurant called, 'Lone Star'.
If you haven’t had the opportunity to go to Wellington, follow the link to learn more about this very cool city: Discover Wellington.
On your blog, tell us what two things you would like to do if you had the chance to visit Wellington. Would you go to the botanical gardens or visit the Beehive? Perhaps you would prefer to go shopping on Cuba Street or go out for dinner on Quay Street…
If I were to be given another chance to go to Wellington I would explore all the wonderful caves.

I would also take the chance to visit the beautiful scenery nature has provided for us.

4 comments:

  1. Morena Cheska,

    Fantastic work on Day 2 already! I love the facts and learned something new!

    I am also really impressed that you went online and read more about bull fighting. And I agree with you, it is a really cruel sport. I have one question to extend your thinking. Since bull fighting is a popular tradition in Spain, with 70% being okay with it, should other countries be able to tell them what to do? Would you be okay with it if other countries were telling us to not do one of our traditions... let's say Christmas... anymore? What do you think?

    And wow! I don't know if you know, but before I became a teacher I actually studied film down in Wellington for 3 years. It is a beautiful city with lots of nature - like the Botanic Gardens or even a nice walk around the waterfront is a great place to people watch or do interesting activities - on hot days many people jump off the specially made pier.

    One thing you could do is find the spots where the Lord of the Rings was filmed, there is one in the hills very close to the city centre. Another place I would love to visit is Weta Studios!

    Do you like those movies? Check out their website, would you like to visit there too? http://wetaworkshop.com/visit-us/workshop-tours/

    Have a great day!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheska!

    I live in Canada and have family living in your beautiful country so I appreciate that you chose Canada as one of the countries you want to learn about. Actually, I live in a small town just a half an hour west of Canada's capital, Ottawa, so I can confirm that English and French are both spoken in the city. In fact, in order to get a job in Ottawa it's very helpful to be able to speak both languages. Perhaps you'll come and visit Canada one day.

    I also want to comment on your views about bull-fighting. I too find it hard to support the maiming and killing of animals for sport. I'm glad to know that there are citizens of Spain who are suggesting that this traditional sport be stopped. Perhaps some other activity that requires courage could be chosen, in its place. Do you have any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Cheska,

    Fantastic work! I love the facts and learned something new!

    I am really impressed by your argument over whether bull-fighting should be banned. And I agree with you, it is a really cruel sport.

    Keep it up!
    Iisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Cheska,

    Congratulations on coming first in the Summer Learning Journey blogging programme for St Patrick's school this past holiday. You were a blogging star! I will look forward to seeing you when I come in to the school to bring your prize pack.

    Cheers,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.